My Photo
Name:
Location: London, United Kingdom

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

To buy or not to buy....Tis is the festive season!

There’s a difference between buying Christmas presents for a boyfriend and a guy you’ve just-met-and-kind-of-like. The latter usually gets nothing; well that’s what I thought the ‘present buying policy’ was anyway; but maybe I was wrong.

When your settled into a relationship you don’t mind spending your hard earned money on your guy; they’ve put up with your moaning, your nagging, and constant demands for sex every half an hour (you wish guys) and if they’re still with you they deserve a gold medal, or okay a few presents which you’ve at least half heartly thought about. But how are you supposed to shop for a guy you hardly know?

Looking back, I should have put more thought into it last year. Because not only does my new guy hand me one present, but two, three presents…… to my shameful none. Oops….I tried to make it up to him; by buying him lip balm for his cracked lips, but 99p doesn’t really cut it when you’ve been given three thoughtful presents.

So I suppose I’m trying to make up for it this year, by buying him thoughtful presents, and lots of them; twelve so far and at least three more to buy. I’m using the money and imagination I should have used last year to bump up his stocking with delightful surprises; and I ‘m hoping he loves them, so I don’t end up with a lump of coal and yet another black cross against my name this year.

Looking into the future I’m kind of scared of getting married, not just because of all that serious scary commitment stuff but when your settled into a marriage will you or your partner still be as thoughtful on the whole present buying thing. “Wow a knife set…it’s what I’ve always wanted” says the wife, while unwrapping her present “Oh thanks a can of paint and some wall paper for the upstairs bathroom that I’ve been meaning to redecorate” says the husband. What a hellish Christmas that would be, and I know they say it’s the thought that counts, but when you think like that maybe you should boycott Christmas all together.

My friend’s just started seeing a new guy, she’s even started calling him her boyfriend, so maybe I should warn her that lip balm isn’t a worthy present if he decides to gift wrap her Christmas. But what if she buys him a present, and there’s nothing for her in return, should she just smile and wave it off, or look hurt enough for him to buy her the contents of Thorntons?

Whatever she decides on if she’s still with him next year she’ll no doubt have to take out a loan to afford to buy his presents. Why is it when you’re attached you end up spending loads more on them than you do for anyone else? You don’t want to look like you don’t give a shit, but on the other hand you don’t want to be deep in debt for the whole of the next year, merely just for a smile on their face. It’s an expensive time of the year for us attached guys and gals, so think yourself lucky if you’re single; you’ll have more money to get pissed on New Years and join a gym the next day; while the rest of us sit slumped in front of the TV sober and penniless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home